This past Friday, MHS was one of the only schools in New Jersey selected to participate in Fleet Week 2018. The U.S. Marine Corps released a statement about that prior to the event: “The Marines of New Jersey were selected to have one Marine Air Ground Task Force static display at a high school of our choice. After carefully selecting high schools that met the criteria of academic excellence, large student population and high quality surrounding communities, Millburn High School rose to the top of that list.”
Throughout the day, each grade had the chance to participate in various Fleet Week activities, including:
- Watching a MV-22 Osprey, a CH53 Super Stallion Helicopter, a UH-1 Huey Helicopter, and an AH-1 Super Cobra Helicopter land and take off
- Walking through Marine aircrafts
- Interacting with Marine pilots
- Seeing different Marine Corps gear
- Getting a demonstration of various exercise techniques used by Marines
We also welcomed students from Washington School, and it was clear that everyone had a great time. The event was a nice reminder about why we celebrate Memorial Day and it was surreal getting to tour real aircrafts that had been used in combat. All in all, a truly unique experience that not many school are lucky enough to experience.