The Millburn Millers Varsity Boys Soccer game versus undefeated Bloomfield ended in a dramatic 2-2 tie Friday night at Millburn High School. Coming into the game, Millburn was 0-4 with four consecutive 2-1 loses, meanwhile the Bloomfield squad came in 6-0-1 with multiple dominating wins.

Bloomfield opened the scoring after being awarded a controversial penalty kick, making it 1-0 about 15 minutes into the game. That score would hold going into the end of the first half. Coming out of halftime, the Millers looked strong, but Bloomfield regained control and took a 2-0 lead with about 25 minutes to go in the game.

However, Millburn never gave up and fought back. After two prime scoring chances, senior Jeff Plump finally got the Millers on the board with 10 minutes to go to make it 2-1. But they weren’t done yet! Sophomore Ben Kessler delivered the game tying goal with just under five minutes remaining to make it 2-2.

The game would end up going into extra time, Bloomfield had the first chance to win in the first period of extra time, but could not convert as the ball deflected off the inside post. Millburn would look to complete their comeback as they turned up the pressure. Plump had the best opportunity to win the game as his shot deflected off the crossbar (that appeared to go in upon further review), but the Millers would play on with one last chance with 30 seconds to go in the game. In Millburn’s final opportunity, Jeff Plump took the ball up the sideline, only to be taken out by a Bloomfield defender. The head referee did not call the foul the Millburn players and crowd pleaded for and blew the final whistle as the Bloomfield defense cleared the ball, ending the game in a 2-2 tie. Luckily for Millburn (0-4-1), they snapped their four game losing streak and gathered some momentum heading into their next matchup against Newark East Side.


The official archives of Studio 462. Archived articles are articles written by former members of Studio 462 who have since graduated or left the Studio.